. Athena's Books: Manic Monday Mini-Review...The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Monday, January 25, 2010

Manic Monday Mini-Review...The Forest of Hands and Teeth


Have I told you how much I love The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan (2009)? I'll admit I did not want to read it because I had recently been on a string of fantasy books and was getting tired of how some of them did not match up to raving reviews on the back of the book jackets. But I didn't realize it was about zombies. Goodbye vampires, fairies, and magic! Zombies are the new thing. I guess I am a sort of zombie fan since I really like that whole clone of zombie movies out there like 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, and so on. But this book is better than all of those! I'll save the long review for later because right now I just want to get you all to read it.

Quote: From Beginning of Novel

My mother used to tell me about the ocean. She said there was a place where there was nothing but water as far as you could see and that it was always moving, rushing toward you and then away. She once showed me a picture that she said was my great-great-great grandmother standing in the ocean as a child. It has been years since, and the picture was lost to fire long ago, but I remember it, faded and worn. A little girl surrounded by nothingness

Summary:

In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village—the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.

When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

Oh, but the book is about so much more. The book jacket never mentions the bittersweet love affair between Mary and the brother of her betrothed. Nor does it mention her struggle with selfishness and loss and love and death and escape. Nor the "coming-of -age" aspect so prevalent in the book.

When you finish reading it...read it again. When that is not enough...wait anxiously for March 2010 when her companion novel will be released--The Dead-Tossed Waves. Absolutely love that title!

My Overall Rating? The Ultimate Post-Apocalptic Romance and Zombie Page Turner.

0 comments: