. Athena's Books
Saturday, April 10, 2010

Well, it seems I haven't been too active lately, it's because I've been a writing zombie for about 2 weeks...I turned in about 90 pages of a full length play for a graduate class this past Wednesday! Now all I have left is about 15 to 20 more pages to finish it completely. It's based on an urban legend of South Texas (the girl who danced with the devil) mixed in with some Aztec folklore and issues of blurred identites and gendered violence. I will give a way better summary later when I'm completely finished.


But, speaking of zombie...one of my favorite students lent me her The Dead Tossed Waves novel! Woohoo! And I somehow managed to slip in the reading of it. All I have to say is "spectacular" just like The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but I still have to say The Forest of Hands and Teeth is my favorite of the two...why? Maybe because the style just blew me away and the worst possible things happened (which is hard to do as a writer because you love any main character you create and "don't want to go there" with him or her...which means you don't want to hit them with worst case scenarios) and I absolutely loved the ending. I will do a full review at some point.


Happy Weekend!

0 comments: