. Athena's Books: YA Wire...The Age of the YA Movie! And Zombies!
Tuesday, January 11, 2011

YA Wire...The Age of the YA Movie! And Zombies!


What is your #1 YA book on your own personal "Made-Into-Movie" dream list?

Hands down for me...The Forest of Hands and Teeth! Without question. My favorite show right now is A&E's "The Walking Dead" (which if you haven't seen one single episode, just go down to Best Buy and buy Season 1)...spectacular series of the zombie apocalpse. But I was a fan of Forest since like day 1 of its release. It's a complete 10 on my scale of suspense, shocking character development and plot twists, and swoon-worthy passion...all mixed in with crazed, ravenous zombies on the other side of the fence! If you want an awesome novel of love and loss and more loss and surival and more love and more loss and complete loss...then it starts all over again with The Dead Tossed Waves! The second book is connected to the first, but with a whole new set of characters and it's like Part 2 but a whole generation later with the whole love, loss, survial, loss thing going on again....I'm getting goosebumps just thinking of Carrie Ryan's third book!
The Dark and Hollow Places--Coming March 2011! I was never even this crazy about Twilight and I was pretty crazy for a 30-somenthing mom and teacher! You know reading Midnight Sun all in one sitting...I miss those Twilight chats with my former students! I wish my new students would talk books with me...think I've been to busy with work and my own homework for grad school to really get carried away with book talks or really share any of my writing with them as I did last year or the year before...

Summary of Book Three--The Dark and Hollow Places--March 2011
(from Carrie's website)

There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face when she and Elias left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the horde as they found their way to the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day and she's been waiting for him to come home ever since. Without him, her life doesn't feel much different from that of the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Then she meets Catcher and everything feels alive again.

Except, Catcher has his own secrets—dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah's longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And now it's up to Annah—can she continue to live in a world drenched in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?





Back to YA books turning into movies...

So, what's yours? What would be your dream book-to-movie adaptation! Post comments...let me know...maybe I haven't read some of those spectacular books out there!

Also check out the following link to the reelzchannel website...awesome for latest movie info.

http://www.reelzchannel.com/article/1083/the-next-harry-potter-or-twilight

Check out their top 10 list of YA series with high concept film potential...and they have all actually been optioned for movies...mine made the list! Join their discussion!

Their list includes...The Hunger Games, Maximum Ride, City of Bone...just to name a few.
Think I'll dream up some more good novel ideas tonight...so completely inspired by Carrie Ryan right now and City of Bones and Sweethearts. Sweethearts--that would make for a very sweet movie...

0 comments: