. Athena's Books: The Daughter of Smoke and Bone...Beckons
Friday, April 20, 2012

The Daughter of Smoke and Bone...Beckons

Seriously? April 20?

Anyways...

All I can say is WOW! Not wow for April 20 but WOW for the book I just started reading.

I don't even have to finish reading it to give 5 stars or to know I am going to devour it this weekend and say this is what I want. I want, I want, I want...to be this book. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

That's it. That's my review. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Done.

By the way, you are seeing the German cover art and Zwischen den Welten means Between the Worlds.  I love it!






Excerpt 1:

     So it was in slum alleys and dark courtyards in Kuala Lumpur, Istanbul, San Francisco, Paris.  Beautiful men and women with distorted shadows came and scorched their handprints onto a door before vanishing skyward, drafts of heat billowing behind them with the whumph of unseen wings.  Here and there, feathers fell, and they were like rufts of white fire, disintegrating to ash as soon as they touched the ground.  In Delhi, a Sister of Mercy reached out and caught one on her palm like a raindrop, but unlike a raindrop it burned, and left the perfect outline of a feather seared into her flesh.

Excerpt 2:

     Was there another life she was meant to be living?  At times she felt a keen certainty that there was--a phantom life, taunting her from just out of reach.  A sense would come over her while she was drawing or walking, and once when she was dancing close with Kaz, that she was supposed to be doing something else with ther hands, with her legs, with her body.  Something else.  Something else.  Something else.

     But what?



I am generally not the fan of a YA book without the complete, first person POV. But I am a fan of this one. The language is lovely, indulgent, like a rich chocolate dessert (I suppose an indulgent chocolate torte with a drizzle of raspberry sauce) matching the old world atmosphere of Prague and the older than time conflict of the spiritual realm.

I am on page 82 of The Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and I must stop my mini-review...because my 3rd period class is about to end, and I want to read before I get bombarded with chapter notes my students are anxious to turn in all nice and complete and in legible handwriting.

Happy Reading to you all this weekend! The Daughter of Smoke and Bone is sleeping next to me on my nightstand ;)


3 comments:

Kristin said...

I am so excited to read this one, I have heard so many great things about it!

your newest follower,
Kristin
youngadultbookhaven.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for following Kristin! I know you will love this novel!

Krystianna said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the great review! :D