. Athena's Books: Sunday's Are For Blogging
Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sunday's Are For Blogging

Can you believe Christmas is just around the corner? I'm pretty much done with my Christmas shopping and hopefully tomorrow I will start wrapping. I had said I would start today, but I got a little lazy and instead did a little more shopping, visited family, took a nap, watched about half of The Wizard of Oz and am now here relaxing again while my kids watch Jingle All the Way. So, tomorrow's agenda...clean house, wrap; Tuesday...go make tamales (very good Mexican tradition...seasoned meat wrapped in a spicy dough and cooked inside a corn husk!); Wednesday...my husband's B-Day! and kids at the Christmas program at church; Thursday...annual family Christmas party at night; Friday...celebrate CHRISTmas and anything is up for grabs...hopefully see Avatar!

Rant: Santas that don't look like Santas! I promise that several years ago when my kids were wee big, they had the privilege of taking a Santa picture at the mall with a Santa who had thick, black, bushy eyebrows! The Mexican Santa! (I can say that 'cus I claim Mexican heritage and that's how my family joked about it when we got that picture) I have the picture to prove it. Then there's the one where Santa has a real, but stringy, pepper-colored beard. I guess the people in charge of the mall Santas or any other public Santa are more concerned with getting somebody decked out in red and figure little kids don't care who plays Santa since they are all "Santas Helpers." Well, that's what we call them. And, it's not like we have a choice because by the time we get there, the kids are all worked up about taking a picture with Santa that we can't say no. And, lets not even talk about the price for one measly picture with a super glossy finish. I won't even go there.

Rave: Jingle All the Way is hilarious. It's a classic with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sinbad fighting for a Turbo Man. As parents, we've all had that ultimate-Christmas-must-have-toy-of-the-year. Actually, that was last year with Wii! Anyways, Arnold has like the worst day ever while trying to get this doll and basically goes berserk trying to get one...he gets beat on by angry mothers and their purses, by a coalition of Santa's Helpers including a burly giant and a midget, runs out of gas, and breaks into a radio studio to win a Turbo Man and all he gets is a gift certificate. The movie is all about what Christmas in not all about and that's what make it so funny! We all get a little crazy during the season and sometime do some crazy things like wait in line outside of Best Buy at 4:00 in the morning, shivering on a cold Black Friday.


Howard Langston: You guys are nothing but a bunch of sleazy conmen in red suits.
Mall Santa: What did you call us?
Howard Langston: You heard me right. Conmen. Thieves. Degenerates. Low-lifes. Thugs. Criminals!
Mall Santa: At the North Pole them are fighting words, Partner.

0 comments: