. Athena's Books: On the 5th and 6th Day of Christmas
Friday, December 18, 2009

On the 5th and 6th Day of Christmas




On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

Playing with Matches by Brian Katcher

I'll admit I wasn't crazy about the book jacket...I would have liked some better art design, but the novel makes up for all that. For some reason, I find books with a male narrative to be very engaging. Maybe it's because there is an overabundance of novels with a female voice or maybe it's just because I'm a female and it's interesting to hear the male take on things. The guy from Playing with Matches is sometimes a jerk, but I gotta hand it to him for being so bold...most guys remain shallow and stuck on looks for quite some time.

SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD LEON SANDERS has a mug that looks like it should be hanging in a post office somewhere. If he didn’t have his twisted sense of humor, he’d have nothing at all. So it’s no wonder to Leon and his friends that the gorgeous Amy Green will never even look twice at him.
However, there is one girl who might: Melody Hennon. Everyone at Zumner High keeps their distance from Melody because she was burned in a childhood accident. Leon has avoided her, too, until the day he tells her a bad joke and makes her laugh. Although Leon worries what people will think of him dating Melody, he’s happy to have someone in his life who thinks he’s special. That is, happy until Amy Green asks him out after Leon saves her from getting detention. Will Leon give up a shot with the Beauty so that he can live the fairy tale with the Beast?

On the 6th Day of Christmas my true love gave to me...

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff



I love it, that's all I will say...just read the excerpt below and you will know why. And, it's about a world war in contemporary times.

This is a story about love.

It's also a story about hate, which is why I left New York in the first place. You don't fly halfway across the world to live with a bunch of people you never met, just for a laugh.

I guess if I'd known where it was all going to lead, I might have thought twice about stepping onto that plane. I might have worried a little more about Edmond being my cousin.

And me being 15.

But I didn't. And in the end, those things didn't matter as much as you think they would.

In the end, the world had bigger things to worry about than us.

0 comments: