. Athena's Books: Manic Monday Mini-Review...The Nature of Jade
Monday, January 18, 2010

Manic Monday Mini-Review...The Nature of Jade


Sometime in December I told you The Nature of Jade by Deb Caletti (2007) is one of my all time favorite YA books. It's a book I always go back to when I need inspiration in my future author aspirations and one I think of as a nearly perfect YA romance with just enough serious issues, likeable characters and romance.

Summary (from Simon & Schuster)

I am not my illness. "Girl with Anxiety," "Trauma of the Week" -- no. I hate stuff like that. Everyone, everyone has their issue. But the one thing my illness did make me realize is how necessary it is to ignore the dangers of living in order to live. And how much trouble you can get into if you can't.

Jade DeLuna is too young to die. She knows this, and yet she can't quite believe it, especially when the terrifying thoughts, loss of breath, and dizzy feelings come. Since being diagnosed with Panic Disorder, she's trying her best to stay calm, and visiting the elephants at the nearby zoo seems to help. That's why Jade keeps the live zoo webcam on in her room, and that's where she first sees the boy in the red jacket. A boy who stops to watch the elephants. A boy carrying a baby.

Jade is drawn into Sebastian's cozy life and before she knows it, she's in love. With this boy who has lived through harder times than anyone she knows. This boy with a past.

Jade knows the situation is beyond complicated, but she hasn't felt this safe in a long time. She owes it all to Sebastian, her boy with the great heart. Her boy who is hiding a terrible secret. A secret that will force Jade to decide between what is right, and what feels right.

Master storyteller Deb Caletti has once again created characters so real, you will be breathless with anticipation as their riveting story unfolds.


Quote

He stands and the baby does something that makes me laugh. He grabs a chunk of the boy's hair in each of his hands, yanks the boy's head back. Man, that has to hurt. Oh, ouch. But the baby thinks it is a real crack-up, and starts to laugh. He puts his open mouth down to the boy's head in some baby version of a kiss.

The boy's head is tilted to the sky. He reaches his arms back and unclenches the baby's fingers from his hair. But once he is free, he keeps his chin pointed up, just keeps staring up above. He watches the backlit cotton candy clouds in a lava-lamp sky, and it is then I am sure this is a story I'll be part of.



Deb Caletti's writing is so compelling and she has the ability to bring an authentic young adult voice to all of her characters in all of her novels. Even though Jade suffers from anxiety, falling for a boy with serious problems does not add to her anxiety. If anything her relationship with Sebastian brings a sense of calm to her life even when it seems circumstances are out of their control. I also love how the author deals with more serious intimacy. The readers know what happens in that moment without the author plunging into detail. I want my daughter to one day read my favorite books, but I do not want her to read anything explicit as some YA books tend to have when it comes to intimacy. My overall rating is The Kind of Book You Just Want to Stay in Bed With All Day and Relish Every Favorite Moment.


Of course I love her name...Jade de Luna.


3 comments:

Little Willow said...

Though I enjoy all of her books, this is my favorite Deb Caletti novel.

Thanks for linking to readergirlz!

Best wishes with your writing, plays, and blog.

Unknown said...

this is my favorite too...and happy to say I have about the first 1000 words of a novel stored on my laptop!

Little Willow said...

Congrats!