. Athena's Books: New YA Books in May 2011
Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New YA Books in May 2011

1.  First, Between Here and Forever by the fabulous Elizabeth Scott!

I am very excited about this book, since she is one of my favorite authors.  Hopefully, I will buy it for my Nook very soon...but I already love the story line and the complications. 

Story of a girl who has always found her identity in being everything her sister is not, but now she has to discover who she is without her sister and in the process also discover things about her sister she did not know and might not have ever known. 

Of course, the love story...makes it better for me.  So, another coming-of-age story, but that's what I love to write. 

Isn't a lot of YA all about this is some way or another...the identity story, the growing up story, the remember when story, the coming-of-age story.  Luv It!

Enjoy the video...very interesting for all you aspiring authors, including me!




2.  Ok, all you die-hard paranormal romance/Twilight fans, here's one for you by newcomer Lisa Kuehne with her debut YA, True Intentions.

(From author's website)
Ava is unaware she possesses a rare and unique gift, a soul with the ability to influence mankind toward virtue instead of sin. Unfortunately, Satan will stop at nothing to gain control of her special ability.

Ava's faith is seriously shaken when she is the sole survivor of the car accident that kills her twin brother and dad. When she relocates and faces the ultimate temptation in Samuel Perry, her mysterious classmate living on earth as a soldier of Satan since 1798 to tempt and damn mankind; Ava isn’t sure she can do the right thing— resist. Sam must choose if he will lead her straight into the devil’s trap or place his immortal existence on the line in order to keep the girl he is falling for alive.

What ultimate price is Ava willing to pay for love? What if it means giving up her life or turning over her soul straight into Satan’s hands— for the boy of her dreams?
 
I've only read a brief excerpt of this novel online, but I will say the Prologue gets you into Ava's story right away and her doomed, fated attraction to a someone who can only mean bad.  It seems the ultimate conflict will be between the forces of bad and good with love mixed in...reminds me of the frog's lines in the animated film Gnomeo and Juliet..."Your love is doomed, your love is dead" as she rips petals off a flower.  

So will Ava turn her boy to good or will Samuel turn Ava to evil? 
 
I would hope somehow Samuel becomes a friendly ghost, gives her an unforgetable kiss, and gives her up to his own blissful eternal sleep as someone who once lived as a human. But this is not likely since True Intentions is the first book in a series.
 

My favorite line so far?  He will remain here, an angel among us.
 
And the cover?  Fabulous look I think.

2 comments:

BookBagLady said...

Love this review and I'm definitely picking up this book! By the way, I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way you have set up your blog. It's fantastic, fun, and very easy to follow! Keep up the great work.

Wishing you ocean breezes and sunshine forever!
Louise
BookBagLady

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your awesome comments...so happy you like my blog!